Don't forget to check out V.I.P. which is a road map of the "very important posts" on this blog. Thanks for visiting!

Visit Mamaway Store

https://www.facebook.com/MamawayPhil
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Detector

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Will you pay for milk?

As early as 2006, The Lactivist already wrote about the black market for breastmilk. In 2007, Time Magazine had an article about wet nursing and featured a Los Angeles agency where you could hire a wet nurse. This issue was again in Fox News which reports that moms are now looking to the black market for donated breast milk and are in fact willing to pay as much as $1.90 per half ounce (or about 15ml).
When I was having supply issues, I never considered getting breast milk from another mom. Instead, we gave Naima formula. Since I started working and pumping at work last year, I've lost count of how much milk I have donated. Based on the Lansinoh, Nanny, Avent, Gerber and Playtex milk bags I've used up, I would believe that I have donated more than 400 6-8oz. bags of milk -- and this excludes the milk sticks which we stored using Sensible Lines storage system. Wow!! If I placed my milk in the black market, at current exchange rates, I would've gotten almost P1M for it!
Tempting.. but since I freely produce the breast milk, I find it unsettling to sell something which I know I got for free. Plus, I know the frustrations of not being able to feed your baby breast milk. Now that my supply is abundant, I feel happy whenever I have some extra to give. I also try to be a good donor by having all my tests ready when the donees ask for it.
I think having someone else wet-nurse my baby is something that I won't agree to - I will be very jealous of the wet-nurse and her closeness with my own baby. I also think I will feel very insecure knowing that someone else is performing my role in my baby's life. I probably will accept breast milk from friends but I don't think I am open to the idea of buying breast milk for my baby. I just find it wrong to sell something that you created for free and what you're selling is something that a desperate person is looking for.

5 comments:

NutraCeutic said...

You know what I find wrong is how Enfamil is promoting itself as "THE BREAST MILK FORMULA" check out their advertising online:
http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/enfamil/productDetail.do?dm=enf&id=-10733&iwpst=B2C&ls=0&csred=1&r=3422101508. The advertising claim exists in the title of a Web page in the blue bar at the top of the page. I noticed this mentioned in the blog area of breastfeeding.com - can you believe this type of claim!

Jenny said...

thanks for dropping by! that is just wrong!! breast milk can never be equated to formula. wonder how this got past the Int'l Code of Marketing BM substitutes? Or maybe the US isn't a signatory? The American Chamber of Commerce in the Philippines interfered with the implementation of our own Milk Code revised rules and regulations.

armouris said...

info on breast milk here - Breast Milk Prevents Infantile Colic

meekerz said...

Haha, I know how you feel! I've lost track of how much milk I've donated as well. I could be rich! But it feels so wrong.

Locally, it's sad that they sell donated bmilk. I had a post about that a few months back... http://lilkanchiu.blogspot.com/2009/02/milking-moo.html

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's wrong at all, I would definitely pay for it when it comes to baby's health.


Nicole using Avent Isis
these days

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...